Judy S. Bae, Associate
- Civil Litigation
- Trust Litigation
University of San Diego, J.D.
Loma Linda University – School of Medicine
La Sierra University, B.S., magna cum laude
Judy’s practice focuses on trust/probate litigation matters, including the contest of trusts and wills and various petitions to seek accountings, instructions from the court, and contesting a trustee’s bad acts. Judy also defends her fiduciary clients in actions filed by beneficiaries for breach of fiduciary duty as trustee. Her clients range from individuals to corporate trustees and include large charitable organizations.
Judy has successfully defended a contest of a trust amendment at trial. She also obtained a judgment setting aside an invalid trust amendment procured by fraud and undue influence. Her most recent trial sought the court’s instruction on the distribution entitlement from a probate estate to sub-trusts through a pour-over will and involved community property and separate property issues.
She has significant trial experience from civil litigation matters, including a single-family construction defect case, a dog-bite/personal injury, a partnership dissolution and wind-up, a commercial real estate dispute concerning personal lease guarantee, and a real estate dispute concerning the delivery of a deed. She has also second-chaired trials which involved contesting and defending trust contests. She also second-chaired an arbitration over the “top-hat” benefits of corporate executives.
- Daily Transcript Top Attorney – Estate Planning/Probate/Trust/TaxFinalist – 2012, 2013 and 2015
Semi-Finalist – 2014
- San Diego Business Journal – Best of the Bar2015, 2016 and 2017
- San Diego Superior Court Outstanding Service to the Probate Court and Bar2018
Community & Personal Interests
Judy is actively involved in the San Diego County legal community. Judy recently ended her term as the Chair of the Estate, Trust & Probate Section of the San Diego County Bar Association (SDCBA) and remains an active member of the section. She was recently elected to SDCBA’s Board of Directors and will serve a three-year term. In 2019, Judy will serve as SDCBA’s Treasurer. Concurrently, Judy also serves on the Board of the Hon. William B. Enright American Inns of Court. She is one of two co-chairs for the San Diego steering committee for Just the Beginning: A Pipeline Organization, a 501(c)(3), to bring the organization’s Summer Legal Institute program to San Diego high schools
Judy recently wrapped up her 2018 term as President of Pan Asian Lawyers of San Diego (PALSD) with the organization’s 40th Anniversary Dinner. While serving on the PALSD Board for three years, she directed the organization’s annual Trial Reenactment all three years. In addition to PALSD, she is an active member of the following organizations:
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL)
- Earl B. Gilliam Bar Association (EBGBA)
- Federal Bar Association — San Diego Chapter (FBA)
- Filipino American Lawyers of San Diego (FALSD)
- Japanese American Bar Association — San Diego Committee (JABA)
- Korean American Bar Association of San Diego (KABASD)
- Lawyers Club
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA)
- National Asian Pacific Islander Prosecutors Association (NAPIPA)
- Native American Lawyers Association – San Diego County (NALA)
- Probate Attorneys of San Diego (PASD)
- San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association (SDLRLA)
- South Asian Bar Association of San Diego (SABA-SD)
- Tom Homann LGBT Law Association (THLA)
In addition to her active community involvement, Judy has lectured on probate court/litigation procedure and one-day evidentiary hearings for probate/trust matters.